No Time Like the Present
A pair of well-used bookcases, one ambitious sketch, and the beginning of a built-in fireplace wall for the House 173 dining room.
I have the next project in sight! Work is crazy right now, the holidays are coming, and I have to start back to school soon, but I thought - why not get involved in a rather extensive project right now. I guess if we wait for the ideal time, nothing would get done. Right now I'm in the planning stage, and if you know me at all - the planning stage can be pretty tedious. But much like Thoreau, I thought it wise to take my time and plan well.
Gathering the Tools for the Project
Then I started by picking up a couple tools I knew I'd need for this particular job. First, I got a random orbital sander.
I suppose if you're trying to guess the project - that didn't help much. Funny thing is, I have all kinds of sanders (nothing like my dad though - I swear he has two of every tool known to man!), but I never had a random orbital sander. From what I understand, these sanders don't leave some of the gouge patterns that palm sanders tend to leave. Anyway, here's another hint:
Okay, it's not the toolbox. Although, that's an old beat up box I've had for many years now, but it was rusting, and I was looking for something to do for half an hour, so I painted the thing. Plus, I was looking for a storage place for all the Kreg tools I seem to be collecting these past couple years. Also, I had some blue paint, so I thought that would go. I digress, so here is the latest tool acquisition, one directly targeted at the next project:
See it? It's the Kreg shelf-pin jig. A little better clue, but sufficiently vague I'm sure. So, cat out of the bag...I want to try my hand at a built-it here at 173! Here's what's in the space right now:
Why the Dining Room Needed a Built-In
See the shelves in the dining room? Well, we've had them since 1994. They're the come-in-the-box type of shelves, and when we got them they were pretty nice for where we were financially, and considering the fact that we were apartment living. But lo, these many years later, they are really the last piece that keeps the dining room from being "finished".
There was nothing wrong with the shelves themselves. They had followed us through apartment living, moves, changing tastes, and nearly two decades of family life. But they still looked like furniture that had been placed against a wall rather than something designed for the room. I wanted the new built-in to give us the same storage while adding a true focal point, something with enough presence to anchor the dining room, but enough restraint that it would not overwhelm it.
The fireplace would provide the center, the bookshelves would give the wall height and balance, and adjustable shelves would let the whole thing change with us over time. At least that was the theory. Now I just had to figure out how to build it.
The Built-In Fireplace and Bookshelf Plan
SO, I have a plan, and here's a little sketch:
I lingered most about the fireplace, as the most vital part of the house. - Henry David Thoreau
I realize it's a pretty amateurish rendering, but I had so many thoughts running through my mind I just had to sit down and draw it out. The plan is - an electric fireplace incorporated into hand-built bookshelves. Yep, that's the plan. With any luck at all it'll turn out at least close to what I see in my mind's eye.
I have a feeling this will be a protracted project, but let's cross our fingers!
See ya soon!
George
I laughed when you started talking about those old bookcases. Mine survived three apartments and somehow made it into our first house too. They weren't ugly...they just kept whispering, 'Don't get too comfortable.' 😂I had to smile when the shelf-pin jig showed up because I thought, 'Oh, built-ins!' The fireplace, though? Didn't see that coming.And knowing you, I'm willing to bet the planning took longer than the building. I can just picture graph paper, sketches, measuring, re-measuring, and at least one complete change of plans before the first board was cut.Can't wait to see how this one turns out! - Kristi, Carson City
Frequently Asked Questions
Why replace freestanding bookcases with a built-in?
The existing shelves had served us well since 1994, particularly during years of apartment living when inexpensive, movable furniture made practical sense. Over time, though, they began to feel temporary in a room that had otherwise become much more finished.
A built-in could make better use of the wall, provide more cohesive storage, frame the fireplace, and appear as though it belonged to the architecture of the room rather than being placed there afterward. The goal was not simply to gain shelves. It was to give the dining room a permanent focal point.
What should be decided before building a fireplace-and-bookcase wall?
The most important early decisions include the overall width and height, the dimensions of the electric fireplace, shelf depth, adjustable versus fixed shelves, base cabinet or open-shelf storage, electrical access, trim style, and how the finished piece will relate to the existing room.
Those choices affect nearly every cut made later. The fireplace dimensions establish the center section, while the wall width determines the proportions of the bookcases. It is also important to consider ventilation and clearance requirements specified by the fireplace manufacturer before enclosing the unit.
Why use a shelf-pin jig in a custom built-in?
A shelf-pin jig allows a straight, evenly spaced series of holes to be drilled for adjustable shelf supports. That gives the finished bookcases more flexibility than permanently fixed shelves, especially when displaying books, clocks, framed photographs, or decorative objects of different heights.
The jig also improves consistency. Drilling shelf-pin holes individually with a tape measure and square would be slower and more likely to produce small alignment errors. For a built-in where both sides need to mirror one another, repeatable spacing is especially useful.
Is a random orbital sander useful for building cabinets and built-ins?
Yes. A random orbital sander moves the sanding disc in a pattern designed to reduce the obvious directional marks sometimes left by traditional finishing sanders. It is useful for smoothing plywood, solid wood, face frames, shelves, and trim before paint or stain.
It still needs to be used carefully. Excessive pressure, remaining in one place too long, or beginning with an unnecessarily coarse grit can create low spots or swirl marks. Letting the sander move freely and progressing through appropriate grits usually produces the best surface.
Why sketch a built-in before creating detailed plans?
A rough sketch captures the larger idea before measurements and technical decisions begin restricting it. It allows the proportions, arrangement, and visual balance to be explored quickly. Even an imperfect drawing can reveal whether the fireplace feels too narrow, the shelves too tall, or the overall piece too heavy for the room.
The sketch is not the construction plan. It is the bridge between imagination and one. In this case, it helped turn several ideas into a single design that could be measured, revised, and eventually built.
Keywords
dining room built-in, built-in bookshelves with fireplace, electric fireplace built-in, DIY fireplace wall, custom dining room storage, built-in bookcase planning, shelf pin jig, Kreg shelf pin jig, random orbital sander, House 173 dining room, DIY built-in design





Post a Comment